Matched in Internal Medicine! Internal Medicine Intern! Intern year Goals!

Hello Everyone! 

So, I tried my best last year. I gathered 6 months of US clinical experience by volunteering at two different hospitals in the US last year. When the time came, one of the Hospitals offered me a job. I am very excited to start my residency in internal medicine. My dream finally came true. I do not have to pursue pathology or psychiatry. Thank you to the Almighty God who helped me immensely at every step of my journey. Who knew a person with an attempt in Clinical Skills exam can match in IM? 

Strangers helped more than friends. Even my best friend could not help me get an interview at the Hospital he is working at.  But I think about people who claimed to be my friends and it hurts when they decided to help strangers over me. I am bitter but I have forgiven them. Now, I do not know how will I interact with them! How will I talk to them when I will see them next time? May Allah help me build a mighty heart when the time comes.

These days, I am just waiting for my Visa Interview at the US embassy. I have already missed the orientation at the Hospital and I will not be able to join the program on time. I am a bit anxious about that. I was planning to go on 23rd June, 2015 so that I can look for a place to live, buy a phone number, BLS re-certification, apply for SSN and National Provider Information and open up credit card account. Now everything is on hold. Unfortunately, the USA Bureau of Consular Affair had some sort of hardware malfunction and they had to cancel all the visa interviews for two weeks. I was one of the people whose visa interviews were cancelled. I do not blame them for computer failure. One can never rely too much on machines any ways. But I am glad the system is online now and I will be interviewed soon. Inshallah(God Willingly)! I talked to my program director and chief residents and they are willing to help me out as well. I can only pray that I get my visa in a day or two. I am utilizing this time to connect with my parents. I spend more time with them and I am enjoying Ramadan a lot. Nothing can beat the Home made Pakistani Sehri and Aftar food. I am in love with the food she cooks. The one thing I will miss immensely is my parents and sister.

I think there is a problem. I am getting too anxious about things. I become impatient and take decisions. Then I give it a thought and then change my decision. I need to learn to relax. I have decided that I will write few goals here and check them frequently so that I wont forget why I am doing what I am doing. Kind of my goals for the next 1 years. So, here it goes:

1- Don't Blame yourself. Relax, Relax, Relax- Some Patients die. It is not your fault. But learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat it.

2- Avoid anger- Try not be angry at the medical student or the nurse or the intern. Be polite during your anger phase. These people are humans and learning medicine. They will make mistakes. I know that you hate Lazy people and Liars. But everyone has some bad qualities. Forgive! Become a better team player!

3- Take a stand. Sometimes you have to talk a stand in a way which is not confrontational. Talk to your Peers, attending and Program Director about the problem in a politically correct manner.

4- Remember you are here to Learn. Learn from your patients. Open a book and read about the diagnosis of your patient.

5- In House evaluations, take them seriously. Study hard. Become the best!

6- Stay in touch with your parents. Call them every day. Visit your family at least once a month. Call your aunts and uncles in America. Stay connected.

7- Open your home to Guests: Guests are a blessing. Invite your friends and family to your place. Have a good time once in a while.

8- Buy a good car and a good apartment. Do not live like a rat!

9- Last but not the least, Trust your Allah and then trust your instinct. Stay Honest with your work and your family.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...moving on!

Fear Or Flexibility ?