KAPS- A brief story!

I am Final Year Student of the King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Pakistan. I joined the Arts and Photography Club named KAPS(King Edward Arts and Photography) when I was in First year of my medical education. And this year I ran the Society as the President of the Club. I always dreamt of running the club and I was granted the responsibility to promote the club. As a President, we introduced few changes in the club. We created four sections of the club namely Arts, Photography, Music and Varsity Stitches. This year was particularly difficult because of the extensive hurdles created by the Varsity Administration. I had to particularly target the key members of the administration and tried to flatter them in every possible means (I am not proud of that and I am not happy about that either..but I DID my JOB pretty well). So, this year due to the hard work of whole club and my final year team, I was able to conduct events like Arts workshop, Inter-class Short film competition and the All Pakistan Arts and Photographic Exhibition. The only problem I faced was shortage of funds. The administration offered me only 7000 Rs for these events(1 Us dollar= 85 Rs..you can do the maths..m not particularly good at it..if I were, I would have been studying in a Engineering school.. :P ). So, I mobilized my photographic section and Varsity stitches(Varsity Clothing line) to generate money for the whole society. The Photographic section covered the sports week of the medical school and I sold the printed pictures at a REASONABLE price. We profited from the coverage of the event. It was enough to conduct the Film Competition. And to tell you the truth, my team made it a Huge success.
Then something about the All Pakistan Exhibition Event. Well, Truthfully speaking I had lots of problem within the society before this event. Because I was retiring in January, my juniors members wanted me to choose my successor. They started playing dirty politics within the society. Seriously, after 4 months they apologized for everything they did and I forgave them all. But you know I can never forget their mistreatment and the foul language they used for me.
Dirty politics..I just hate it too much now..and I decided not to attend the any functions arranged by immediate juniors next year. Above all, the staff president of the club is also supporting the wrong guy. Because of these reasons, I had to postpone the event for a month or so.
After Summer vacations, I send one of the senior members of the society to get permission for the Exhibition from Vice Chancellor. I was pretty HOPEFUL that he wont allow us to do the exhibition as I was extremely upset over all the politics going on in the society. To be very frank, I hated the club during the pre-exhibition period. But I signed the application to hold the exhibition as a favor to my close friend and the co- president of the club Faiza. And fortunately, VC granted the permission to hold the exhibition.
Now, we had only a week to inform all the colleges of Pakistan via email, phone and courier services about the exhibition and we had to MAKE our Juniors work. It was a totally FUCKED up situation if you ask me. The senior members of the team were not ready to work with the junior members. The ex-presidents were seriously made at the juniors. Faiza and I discussed everything. I decided to involve the juniors. I talked to the senior members and they all listened to what I had to say and they were ready to work for me only(That is so nice of them). It was a real honor for me to work with them. I will always remain grateful to them for their help and advices. And as far as the work was concerned, Everyone was eventually working with each other at the same place.

Regarding the invitation to the colleges, my close friend Beenish took the responsibility and She did a wonderful job. I will always remain grateful to her! She has done a lot for me.
Regarding the funds, I asked my family for help. My father donated 20,000 Rs and My Brother Donated 4000 Rs for the exhibition. Without them, Arts at KE couldnt have survived! :) Despite of the fact that they never liked the idea of me running the club(because I stopped concentrating on studies), they supported me during the society problems. My Father gave me so many good suggestions on administrating the society. His suggestions were actually worked! :) Thats one of the reason I like my family a lot. No matter what or who you are, they support you!!! :D

I was seriously fucked up with the work routine. And I needed paintings to put up in the Exhibition. I needed participation and I just had a week. I contacted the Artist of the Mayo Hospital. And I was amazed to see his office. It was such a small office. Believe me, Arts and Artist can be found at the darkest place especially in this part of the planet. I talked to him and told him about the whole situation. He told me that he will help me with the entries for the exhibition. Through his efforts, I was able to collect 230 paintings! 230 Paintings! Can you believe that! Eventually, It happened. The big day arrived. We DID It in Style! We even had a baking competition and Mehndi Competition alongside the Painting Exhibition. At the end, our music club presented songs.

I have so much to tell you but I can't write everything on my blog. To tell you the truth, I wanted to resign from the club before the exhibition. My friends were eventually able to convince me not to resign. I was not happy at all. I made few mistakes too. But you know, It happens. GOOD and BAD Things happen. And its really difficult to administer 200 members. I gave KAPS a lot. I have given this club a lot. You know what makes me very happy today. Through KAPS, I was able to achieve not only my own dreams but also the dreams of my friends and of Strangers!
Promoting Art and Artist was my duty. And I DID it! Me and My team made History. It might look a little arrogant.Now,we are legends in our medical school!

P.S. we launched a website too. The link is www.kaps.tk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...moving on!

Fear Or Flexibility ?